Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Be cautious about tech stocks

I'm extremely busy with my submission work and have to catch up in evenings and weekends, which will likely last for a few months from now. So really not much time to write but I will still post some short notes for some quick thoughts as often as I can.

I hope those who had bought Yahoo had sold already before the Alibaba IPO on Friday. As predicted, Yahoo would be sold off hard as soon as Alibaba IPO came on board in the market. Actually just within 2 days, Yahoo has already declined by 5%. Likely this will continue for a while.

I'm also concerned about the teck stocks. Without going into details, technically teck stocks are not behavoring well and there is a good chance that they may be significantly under pressure in the next few months. If you hold a lot of teck stocks, then you need to be very cautious and should mind your stop loss. E.g. raise your stop loss and be ready to exist or even proactively lighten up your portfolio with such stocks by selling some of them, especially if you have good paper profits with them. If you know how to play with options, then you can think about buying QQQ put options as hedge against your teck stock portfolio. This can protect you if indeed the overall teck stocks are sold off hard. I think this is likely coming and a 10% correction is not unthinkable. Having said that, any sold off will be a great buying opportunity for longer term. Will let you know if I start to see such opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment