Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Let snowing pay my retirement after cheating the death

As my nick name implies, I’m living in the deep woods, an area sitting on top of a hill full of tall trees. It is a resort like area I thoroughly enjoy now. But when we first came to see the house at its open house, I didn’t like it at all, an old property not well maintained both interiorly and exteriorly. I’m typically a vision guy usually attracted by its appearance and the property looks not pretty to me at all when I first saw it. But my wife, a naturally born real estate “expert” and interior designer in my eyes, immediately fell in love with it at the first sight and convinced me to make an order. We actually ended up with even a further discount to an already very competitive asking price. Apparently not only I not so interested in it at that time. So why my wife was so much attracted by it? She educated me with this lesson: nearly everything can be changed and upgraded for a housel except location. And this house is sitting in a perfect location she was looking for: in a woody area surrounded by many million dollar houses on top of a hill with great views. Very importantly it’s mostly used rooms (kitchen and dining/living rooms) are facing to the south and slightly towards the east, a perfect facing not so easy to get. I of course realized this only after we moved in: in the winter time during good days, our south side rooms are always with full of sunshine, making the house incredibly warm and cozy. After many upgrades done in the past few years, the house is really attractive to me now, thanks to my wife’s unique vision. Although nothing to do with my investment idea today, let me spoil myself a bit by abusing your time for now to show off some photos about it. Agree with me that it is a beautiful area to live in?
 
 
 

 

 


 

 


But anything has its cost, small or big. No difference to this perfect house we love. Since this is a very matured area, we still see all the power lines exposed in the air. As such, they are very vulnerable to the damages that may be caused by bad weathers like strong wind or snow storm, especially in such a woody area. Since we moved in for 5 years now, we have experienced power outage from time to time due to poor weathers but it has almost always been recovered within hours, except this time with the historical snow storm hitting our area on Mar 7, Wed. Let me post a few photos about the snow storm here. It was brutal but ironically was very beautiful, wasn't?!
 

 
 
 


We went to bed without power and heating that night expecting to get the power recovered by the morning. But by the morning we kind of awoke in the coldness still without power and were sadly notified that the power would not be restored till Sat.  Obviously we could not continue to stay there without power, heating and more importantly without water (as we are using the well water that needs a pump). So we had to clear our driveway to go out to go to our second home fortunately not so much impacted by the snow storm. While I was plowing the snow, I suddenly thought about this company that is doing very boring business but generating very reliable revenues and paying great and increasing dividends for years. This is the company called Compass Minerals (CMP), a leading miner and seller of road salt. Here is the CMP business: Compass Minerals is a provider of essential minerals that solve nature's challenges, including salt for winter roadway safety and other consumer, industrial and agricultural uses; specialty plant nutrition minerals for the quality and yield of crops, and specialty chemicals for water treatment and other industrial processes.

This is certainly not a fancy and sexy business and stock by any means and probably no one would talk about it but I like it for its sound and stable business with reliable incomes for investors. It started paying dividends in 2004 and has managed to increase its annual payout every year for the past 13 years. On top of continuous paying dividends, it has increased its dividends by 200%, or 15% annual growth in average. It is now trading 20% below its recent high with a forward PE about 15 and paying a very respectful dividend of 4.5%. I think it is a good long-term dividend stock for consideration that you may turn the winter snowing into a cash machine to pay your retirement life!
By the way, I literally cheated death this time. We have a long driveway lined up with tall trees. I knew it might not be safe to plough snow during the snowing day with very wet snow piling up on the trees as some branches could easily fall without warning. But I couldn’t wait and decided to do it anyway. So I asked my wife to check if I was still standing up from time to time. Fortunately I completed the work without incident but just minutes after I walked back in, a big branch trunk indeed fell down to the driveway. It could really kill anyone if falling onto him/her. So if you are also living in a woody area, be very carefully during the windy or snowing day under trees. It could be life-threatening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment