Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 25, 2018

How to review a whole life insurance policy

Since I posted my blog on the idea to use a whole life insurance (WL) to shield risks against the potential long lasting bear market that may come in the foreseeable future, I have got some interesting questions about it. Some friends asked me to share a sample illustration about it and I shared the following. I got some good questions about this policy. So let me clarify a bit. But keep in mind, I’m not a professional agent on life insurance. While I’m confident to say I know what I’m talking about, you need to find a trustable agent to work with you to show your personalized illustration for your personal needs.



One question is about the guaranteed vs unguaranteed portion in the illustration. The general reaction to it is that since it is unguaranteed, we should not believe it but only look at the guaranteed portion. It is fine to do so for your risk assessment as the guaranteed portion is indeed the absolute minimal return that one can expect from a WL. But this is really a drop dead scenario that assumes that the company cannot make any money for its unguaranteed dividends. It is possible for poorly run companies but for good companies, it almost never happens. Actually the unguaranteed portion is a more realistic return one can expect. Why so? Believe or not, insurance companies are in general much safer than banks since by law they have to keep a huge amount of money as reserve to handle policy claims. As such, they generally have sufficient cash in place for emergency. Then due to the nature of their business, overall they have to be very conservative and cannot perform too much risky investment. Rather overwhelmingly they put majority of money into very secured investment like bonds. Therefore in general insurance companies are routinely earning about 5-6% per year from their business. Not fancy but very safely. If you are working with an insurance company, like a mutual insurance company that treat policy holders as partners, they are committed to passing all the leftover profits to the policy holders as dividends. With that you can safely expect some dividends for your policy. If a company like mine which has never missed its dividends since its birth over 160 years ao, is it too much for me to expect that I can continue to count on them to reward me with dividends? As I have explained in my previous blog, actually this is the time one should expect higher dividends moving forward (see dividend history) as we are entering into a high interest era and I truly believe that I’m going to see a lot higher return from my policy due to increasing dividends in the years ahead. Currently I’m earning 4% guaranteed plus 1% floating dividends. If I’m right based on the history, it won’t surprise me to see 5-10% dividends within the next 10-20 years on top of the minimal 4%. That’s how I’m reviewing my policy’s future.


The starting death benefit (DB, the face value of the coverage) is about $3.7 mil with a $50K premium. Too low isn’t? That’s why I’m so much in love with this type of WL!  My purpose for this type of WL is to maximize my saving capacity via CV and minimizing the death benefit (to cut down the cost to minimal). In other words, about 70% of the $50K premium is my saving portion going into the CV and only about 30% is for the life insurance portion minimally required by the IRS in order to qualify the policy as an insurance product. That’s really the key to differentiate this WL from others! Have you noticed the power of this strategy? With a moderate contribution/saving each year, this young man can realistically become financial free in 50s and will have over $10 million CV available for him to use already in his 60s. All can securely be reached without him to do anything beyond contributing to his premium ($50K per year for 10 years and $15K for the remaining years). That is what “time is money” means!

Given the high CV accumulation over time, one can easily use the CV to pay the annual premium if so desired. Of course, this will reduce the CV growth and the DB obviously. But that’s the available choice one can take. From the wealth building perspective, I certainly don’t want to do so as more money I put in, more wealth I’m building up via this strategy.
Will a WL ever go down to zero in its CV or death benefit? Definitely not! As long as you pay your minimal premium either out of the pocket or via CV and as long as the company is still doing its business, by law and legally bounded, the WL will protect you for life and the CV will only grow year after year. There is zero chance to go down with the above condition in place. I notice the DB is going down a bit over time for the guaranteed portion while the CV keeps going up. For the nonguaranteed portion, both CV and DB are growing over time. It is a bit difficult to explain the declining DB part as it is something related to how the policy is structured. A good agent can help to clarify.  But definitely it is not going down to zero. It is going towards its initial face value for the DB by year 121, the last year for this policy illustration. As I said, I’m more interested in the nonguaranteed projection which is more realistic and is growing substantially over time.  That’s why it is so safe for retirement planning and also it is so important to choose the quality good company with a long track record of performing well in this business!! But overall, you hardly hear bankruptcy of any insurance companies as they are generally much safer than banks with more protection in place by regulations. Actually there would be much bigger issues for me to worry about before I ever need to worry about my insurance policy!

No comments:

Post a Comment