Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Certainty of uncertainties


Can you understand what I mean? Sounds very confusing, isn’t! Actually this is very simple fact especially important for investing: no one knows for sure what will happen for any given stock, regardless how much research one has done. It is a certainty that there are always uncertainties out there in dealing with stocks.  Got it?! I guess no one will probably argue with me on this statement but in reality, not necessarily many people will count this much in their investing and trading. People tend to believe what they are convinced about and don’t want to easily change their mind even if the uncertain/unknown fact may have proven that their belief may not be so right. I’m talking about the exist strategy for trading.  As a general rule that I’m trying to follow (not really easy to strictly stick to it honestly), for each position I entered, I should have a clear mind predefined when I want to exist from it, since I know I may be wrong about the stock even if I have done great research and totally convinced about it. For stocks that I have bought for trading, I use a stop loss (e.g. 5% below the top or below my entry) to determine when I need to get out as the worst case scenario.  For options, I usually use spread to hedge my positions which will predetermine my potential loss already.

 

You may ask why I suddenly want to talk about the uncertainty in the stock market.  Well, I think there is a very relevant  real life example about the GE stock I recently talked about.  As you know back to end of Dec last year, I had a bullish call for GE, thinkingthat its bottom was likely reached around $17 and was poised for a big move up. I had done my home work with quite a conviction that I was right. As such, I opened three types of trade on GE. Since then, GE has gone through a roller coaster journey in the past few weeks with some quite surprising negative news that has proven how uncertainty we could run into. I thought it may be a good idea to share how I’m handling my trades with GE.

  • I bought short-term calls for GE, aiming for a quick win if GE moved up soon as expected. Lucky me as GE indeed did exactly as expected in the following 2 weeks.  My calls jumped very fast and I ended up with an almost 200% gain within a couple of weeks.  So my short term call was correct without any surprise.
  • Per my research, I thought GE has reached its ultimate bottom and could be starting a long term uptrend and I like its dividend as a value investment. So I also opened a stock position with an intention for holding it long term with dividend reinvestment.  This one has caught up with really unexpected bad news! GE surprisingly announced a week ago about a massive loss in its legacy insurance business that was a shock to the market and its stock of course got sold off en mass immediately.  Then their CEO talked about a potential breakup, for which it was too early to judge whether it could be beneficial to the shareholders.  For long term value investment, the last thing I’d like to see is the apparent uncertainty and I decided to get out for now. Thanks to its initial run-up, I got out with a tiny gain from this stock position.
  • Then I have another intermediate term play for GE with put selling (using a spread to minimize the downside risk). This is low risk trade as all I’m betting is that GE won’t decline below $17 by Mar 16. Since my potential loss was predefined, I decided to hold this on after its initial surprise with the insurance loss. Actually I was thinking GE could be reacting well to its earnings a few days later due to how pessimistic the market was for it. I was half right as GE indeed responded quite well with a 6% jump immediately following its earning and then another bombshell was dropped: GE announced that it is facing a SEC investigation into its accounting practices and may need to re-report its 2016/17 earnings.
It is just like an unbelievable drama unfolded with my GE trades! Are there other uncertainties with GE? I really don’t know but I hope that’s it. With so much bad news for GE, I must say its technicals are not really too bad. I think there is a good chance this plunge is indeed its last shore drop and it may find its final bottom around the $15-16 level.  Even though my put selling position is showing some loss at the moment, I’m still holding it as I know how much downside risk it has, especially my profitable call trade can very well cover my potential loss if it turns out to be so. But again, for anyone else still holding GE, it is important to make up your own mind how to handle the risk. Holding it for long term may turn out to be a good call but there is certainly no guarantee, especially with potential uncertainties still possible for this 100+ year old American icon!

No comments:

Post a Comment