Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Rare opportunity again for a deep value stock

About 2 and half years ago, I got in this great stock at around $55 when it was hit hard, an outstanding retail giant that faced a temporary challenge. I’m talking about Target (TGT) for a moment when Buffett loves to put his money into work. No surprise. TGT quickly shook off the problems, recovering pretty soon and becoming stronger. Since then, people became interested in TGT again and they pushed its price to as high as $85. Along the way, I used TGT  literally as my ATM to draw incomes regularly. I even posted such a blog. Eventually when it got too much hyped, my TGT shared got called away when it was close to $80. I was fine as I knew it was a bit too expensive at that time and I’m waiting for another opportunity to get it again. My patience pays off. TGT got crashed again with a haircut off 20% from its peak recently due to “poor” earnings. When everyone is dumping the shares, I’m happy to pick them up at a discount. You see, this is an American icon retailer that has nothing changed fundamentally. Yes, it has significant challenges especially those from the online retailer giant Amazon but it is still an enormous cash gusher, a very profitable business. As with any other great businesses, TGT will adjust and adapt to the new environment when facing challenges and its long track record of profitability has demonstrated that it will overcome difficulties! As a value investor, I only want to buy when the quality stocks are cheap and the thing is they only become cheap when they are facing temporary problems. This is what is happening to TGT again. With a PE of 12 and the price being only 0.56 of its sales for such a great business, it is really cheap to me. It makes me more exciting to see its decades of the record of paying dividends with a compounding dividend growth rate at double digits. You don’t see many such companies in the world. I’m happy to buy TGT when it is on sale!!

No comments:

Post a Comment