Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 13, 2016

A high risk high return trade on the FDA decision


A few weeks ago a friend was asking me about my opinion about Portola Pharma (PTLA). My reply was that I did not follow PTLA closely but it technical looked good and its product waiting for approval was quite interesting. After that I did some further digging about PTLA and actually became very interested in it, so much so that I have bought PTLA.

Next week will one of the most critical moments for PTLA as FDA has a decision date by Aug 17 to decide whether it will approve the PTLA drug, Andexxa. Betting for the FDA decision is of course with high risk but I think the potential reward is also enormous. Andexxa is a first in class drug, an antidote to specific anticoagulants (blood thinners) known as factor Xa inhibitors. There are many anticoagulant drugs available to prevent blood clots.  Well-known factor Xa inhibitors include Xarelto and Eliquis and millions of patients are on such blood thinners. The problem is that these drugs have a notorious life-threatening side effect, bleeding. Unfortunately currently there is no effective drug yet to reverse the blood thinners. Andexxa is the first one that has been shown in clinical trials to be safe and effective in immediately stopping bleeding caused by the anticoagulants. You can imagine if approved, how potentially profitable this drug may be for PTLA.
When I bought PTLA call options, I figured that it would move up towards the FDA decision date. This is exactly what has happened as my calls have gained nicely so far. But let me be clear, while I do think the chance of approval is high, there is no guarantee of course. The FDA decision may swing PTLA by 25% either way easily. As such I have also covered my downside risk by partially setting up a bearish call spread in my position. This way, I won’t cap my upside if approved but will not suffer too much if it fails and plunges. Actually if it drops too much, I may even be profitable as a whole with this combo strategy. That’s how I’d like to set up my high risk high return positions.

No comments:

Post a Comment