Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Be the landlord of the US government


 
I don't know you but I'd like to have others pay me, as much as possible and also with as little risk as possible. To be a landlord is definitely one option many people can consider in the rental business but I personally don't like the headache to manage tenants. It would be a dream to have someone manage this for me and pay me well without much risk to be worried about. I think I have found one.
Government Properties Income Trust (GOV) is a REIT (Real Estate Income Trust). To be qualified as a REIT, the company must pay 90% of its earning to the shareholders so that it can avoid paying the corporate tax. The shareholders will have to pay their income tax for the dividend they received. So this actually avoids the double taxation, which is generally the case for all other companies. That's why REITs usually pay a much higher dividend yield. GOV is currently paying 7.5% dividend for your money invested. You cannot get anything even close for your money in the bank. There are tons of REITs out there. What makes GOV outstanding among them is the nature of its core business: 94% of its annualized rental income is paid by the U.S. Government, 10 state governments and the United Nations. In other words, if you buy GOV, you are virtually the landlord of the US government. GOV has dozens of federal or local governments renting its properties. The top 5 renters are:US Customs & Immigration Service (10%), Internal Revenue Service (9%), Federal Bureau of Investigation (5%), Department of Justice (5%), and Department of Agriculture (4%). Will you be worried that the US governments such as IRS will lack of money to pay your rents? Not a chance. That's why I think this is a super safe deal to become the landlord of the US government. I have definitely added GOV into my retirement portfolio for long-term investment!

 





No comments:

Post a Comment